This was another experiment at a Silk Retreat. First we twist-wrapped the silk on a tube and dunked it into boiling dye. That is the Shibori technique. Then I stretched the silk and looked at the fine lines left by the twist, and drew complementary resist lines. That was then painted with TinFix dyes. I overpainted the white left by the Shibori technique, too. This is a close up of the 11 x 60" silk. It is fun and wearable. I think it would be fun on a hat! $50.00
When I was at a Silk Retreat in Grand Junction, CO I shared how I used thickened dyes to color the silks in my paste paper technique. This one is a little wild, but you know I love color. 11 x 60" $40.00
The word Perception is written through the middle three times. From there I built the rest of the design. Around the edges I have comments about how we perceive life. I am using a copper metallic resist. 11x60" $90.00
I am using thickened dyes on 11 x 60" silks. The first one was done with Red Label Jacquard and steamed for only an hour, so I over dyed it with more Tinfix yellow and then steamed for 3 hours. It came out much prettier. $40.00 Oops, second one is Sold.
I had an earlier version of this complicated, detailed silk on my Jill's Quills 2014 calendar and wanted to make another because someone was excited by the design. I barely had it finished and it was sold. Wow.
I started this silk with the word Tranquillity written largely down the middle. Around the border I added some philosophy about how to achieve tranquillity and added the cartoon flowers. This silk is very springy, yet goes with any blues or purples. $80.00
Remember when Mom made a dessert called 'Cut Glass'. It was many flavors of jello, cut into cubes, then molded into a cake shape by lemon and whipped cream, I think. Anyway, this silk makes me think of that dessert. It has no resist and is just so much fun. $50.
This is an experiment and a class story. Jan Janas was our teacher on April 22 and 23. Jan is a dynamic teacher and artist and she devised a plan to get us out of our 'comfort zone'. We started with 4 1"x1" squares(clipped from magazines) which we drew in the abstract. We chose our favorite and enlarged it to a 4"x 4" square. We shaded that, then cut it into strips and redrew our design. From there we took small sample pieces of silk and using different techniques, painted the design. The second day we took a 35"x35" silk and made the large design, modifying as we went. The top two photos are the end result and it is already SOLD.
At Christmas, my family was here and my grandson saw a silk on the stretcher. I had just painted a background that, to me, looked like a sunset. He saw a very large piece of bacon. After he said that that is all I could see too. So I added some quills, the alphabet, and finally a dark red on top with salt.
It now can be worn with my new red jacket. 11x60" Sold.
For Christmas, Tauni gave me this dressy dark red, metallic jacket. I decided I would like a silk to go with it. The dark red was a real challenge, but I think this silk is complementary. I tried to keep it simple (for me). 11x 60" NFS at this time.
My career involved two creative passions: teaching and art. Both passions have enabled me to create. My passion is an all-encompassing one in relation to teaching and art. Sometimes I am consumed by the need to create. A pencil, a brush or a pen in my hand brings me a feeling of contentment.